You qualify for the One Hour Divorce program if:
- you and your spouse agree on the terms of the divorce (division of property, support, and child custody),
- your case is based in California.
HOW IT WORKS
You and your spouse meet with Dustin Stucki, Family Law Attorney. We meet together to gather and share all of the required information, go over the court forms, and draft the terms of the divorce. We sign and notarize the court documents and agreements. This meeting takes about an hour.
Relax. We do the rest.
We organize the court documents and make sure they get filed correctly. We draft and process the proof of service and remaining divorce judgment documents. We ensure that the process and timing of filing remains compliant with the law. You get to relax.
Your Divorce is Finalized
The court will review the forms and agreement that we submitted and issue the final divorce decree. They will mail it to you as soon as it is processed. However, under California law, the final divorce date cannot be sooner than 6 months. But your divorce agreement is legally binding as soon as you sign it and there is nothing more that you need to do for the divorce while you wait for the 6 months to pass. Just relax.
- Initial Meeting with Dustin Stucki, Family Law Attorney
- All Necessary Court Forms
- Drafting Marital Settlement Agreement
- Notarization Services for signatures
- Court Approved Child Support Guideline Printout
- Court Filing services
- Official Proof of Service
- Regular updates on the process
- We provide everything you need to complete your divorce. All you have to do is show up to the meeting!
- $435 Court Filing Fee. However, we can arrange the process so you only have to pay this fee once, rather than for both parties.
- Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO) (Not needed to complete the divorce, but may be needed later on if you have certain types of retirement accounts).
Frequently Asked Questions
DOES IT REALLY ONLY TAKE AN HOUR TO GET A DIVORCE?
Yes. And no. It only takes you about an hour for the intake meeting.
Once we have all of the needed information, and signed copies of the documents there is still a lot that needs to be done. But we do it. You relax. Certain forms need to be filed within certain time frames, and others can only be filed after a certain time. There are official proofs of service that need to be completed, signed, and filed. We do all of that in the background. All you have to do is show up to the meeting!
Under California law the official divorce date can’t happen any sooner than 6 months from service of process. But we complete the divorce process, and you receive your official divorce papers along with the legally binding divorce agreement well before 6 months pass. There is nothing more you need to do at that point. You simply wait for the official divorce date to come and go.
DO I qualify for the one hour divorce program?
The main criteria is that you and your spouse agree to all the terms of the divorce including:
- Child Support (guideline printout will be provided)
- Child Custody
- Spousal Support
- Division of Property/Debts
If you are not in total agreement on the above issues, we offer Divorce Mediation where we can help you come to an agreement.
WHERE DO YOU PROVIDE SERVICES?
If you are in the Sacramento area we can meet at one of my offices in Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, or Folsom. I am also happy to make house calls.
If you live elsewhere in California I can also travel to you. However, there is an additional travel fee of:
- $400 if within 2 hours drive from Sacramento
- $800 if between 2 hours and 4 hours drive
- $1200 if air travel is needed (for example in Southern California)
WHAT DO WE DO AT THE INTAKE MEETING?
I gather some information about your situation. Then I enter the information into each of the needed court forms.
You are required to disclose certain financial information to the other party, so I help guide you through that process.
Then I draft the Marital Settlement Agreement with the terms of your divorce (support, custody, and how to divide the property). We won’t have time for mediation so you will need to agree beforehand on these issues.
Then we sign everything and I notarize your signatures.
CAN WE COMPLETE THE PROCESS TOTALLY ONLINE?
Yes, absolutely. We are a modern and very efficient family law firm with the technological capacity to complete all of the forms online. The one exception is that the settlement agreement must be notarized. So you would need to be willing to get that notarized and mail it back to me.
DO I GET A REFUND IF THE CASE CANNOT BE COMPLETED?
Absolutely. If for whatever reason we cannot complete the divorce process I will refund your money (minus any amount you paid me for travel). However, this is rarely an issue as the One Hour Divorce program is very effective (as long as people are in agreement about the terms of the divorce.)